ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditor (Quality Management Systems) Training course (CQI/IRCA licence A18054)
A Lead Auditor 'ticket' with the CQI and IRCA stamp on it signifies that your qualification is recognised and valued wherever you work on the planet.
The globally esteemed 'Gold Standard'
There is no better way to instantly demonstrate your credibility as a Quality Auditor than by brandishing a CQI and IRCA Certified QMS Lead Auditor qualification on your résumé.
IRCA (the acronym for International Register of Certificated Auditors) is the UK's original registration body for Quality Auditors, and SQMC were the first training centre in Scotland to offer this IRCA accredited course - as part of Stirling University in 1992. Nowadays, SQMC continues to offer our clients and students this course as an independent, 'Approved Training Partner' of the CQI and IRCA.
The top 12 key aspects of the course
Here's a brief rundown of a dozen crucial factors you will glean from your training, through our series of lively and interactive discussions, practical audit scenarios based on dynamic case studies, and team exercises:
- The purpose and business benefits of a Quality Management System (QMS).
- How the "Plan - Do - Check - Act" (PDCA) cycle has influenced ISO 9001.
- A review of the principles and concepts of "Quality".
- A critical evaluation of the "Seven Quality Management Principles" – as explained and expounded by your own Quality "guru" for the week (all of our approved Tutors are hand-picked, SQMC-trained, Chartered Quality Professionals; and are genuine experts in the field).
- Getting to grips with Documentation and Interpretation.
- Understand the principles, methodology, preparation and performance of a Quality Audit, to ISO 19,011; including the efficient use of Checklists.
- The key to selecting the Audit sample, and the subsequent preparation of the ideal questions – get this right and you'll perform Process Audits with increased confidence.
- How to prepare the findings and statements of a nonconformity.
- Master the art of Audit Reporting.
- A look at Corrective & Preventive Action, the follow-up process, and then surveillance.
- A discussion of the duties of an Auditor and a Lead Auditor, with a seasoned pro.
- The role of the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS), and the requirements of the Registration Scheme in the UK operated by the Chartered Quality Institute's "International Register of Certificated Auditors" (CQI / IRCA).
So much to gain while you're with us
When you invest a week away from work, you want to have confidence that your time will be wisely spent. With over two decades experience of training and developing ISO 9001 Lead Auditors, and unsurpassed pass rates, SQMC's highly-qualified trainers layer your training – matching the material to your own learning style, preferences and pace. We are experts in providing an optimum platform to learn valuable new auditor skills and information, in a fun, interactive, and informal environment.
Our Chartered Professionals – all of whom are practising QMS Auditors when not in the classroom – will enlighten or bolster your knowledge of the duty and function of an ISO 9001 Lead Auditor, and the Certification process. You'll go back to work with an improved understanding of the role of ISO 9001 as well as other key Standards (including ISO 17,021 and ISO 19,011), processes and how best to 'map' them out logically, and the principles of auditing. We'll give you a safe and comfortable environment to try out supplier auditing protocol and techniques for yourself, practising your new skills under the encouraging mentoring of our experienced tutors.
Moreover, achieving a pass on this course will meet IRCA's training requirements if you intend to register with them personally as a QMS Auditor.
As an SQMC-qualified ISO 9001 Lead Auditor, you can then go on to gain 'registered status' with the International Register of Certificated Auditors. From a personal career perspective, this may be useful when applying for positions as '3rd Party Auditor' with certain government-approved Certification Bodies.
Even without registering with IRCA, you will already be fully qualified to carry out external audits, helping ensure the quality of supplier operations meet the standard you pass on to your customers. You can be an integral part of the process of assuring that your organisation meets its objectives, and realises its statements of intent efficiently and effectively. You can also add value to your organisation's internal operations – after all, in which area of your operations would you not want quality?!
How to prepare for this training
Accomplished auditors already well familiar with the latest ISO 9001:2015 international standard are welcome to enrol directly on this Advanced Level course. For everyone else, we strongly advise you to first attend the ISO 9001 Foundation workshop, in order to gain the prior knowledge recommended by IRCA. This Lead Auditor course does not cover the Standard or Quality Management basics in depth, and assumes candidates already have a good appreciation of these essentials.
Length of course
5 days (includes a 2-hour final examination; or 2.5-hour duration for those whose first language is not English, and learners with dyslexia, etc. Please advise our staff at time of booking.).
Attending this SQMC event will qualify for 40 CPD points from the Chartered Quality Institute.
Your privacy with our accreditor
The independent accreditors of this Auditing qualification are the Chartered Quality Institute (CQI) and International Register of Certificated Auditors (IRCA). The CQI/IRCA have asked us to inform you that in order to certify your training, they require SQMC to share certain personal information of our students, namely: your name, email address, the name of your tutor, the course in which you are registered, the date of your course and the results of final assessments that you have completed.
The CQI/IRCA will then assign you with a student identification number. They retain your name, course and exam details, and this student identification number in perpetuity.
As a Quality control measure, the CQI/IRCA also use each student's name, email address and course information to send a personalised email following the conclusion of their course, in which they ask for feedback on their experience with the course, tutor and the training provider.
As 'data subjects', students have certain rights under the GDPR including, for example, the right to access the data held about them. You can contact the CQI directly or through SQMC to exercise your GDPR rights.
The Scottish Quality Management Centre is an award-winning, globally accredited training body, headquartered 25 minutes from Edinburgh International Airport. Click here for a timeline of our 30-year history.
*Total price if purchasing all three Standards from the British Standards Institute's online store.
- ISO's Quality Fundamentals & Vocabulary (licensed for students to keep)
- ISO's Guidelines for Auditing Management Systems (licensed for students to keep)
- Extensive SQMC reference manual
- Quality, restaurant lunches
- Globally recognised and valued qualificaiton
- Interactive, classroom environment
- Learn from a Chartered 2nd/3rd party auditor.
SuitabilityAn advanced auditing course for those with a current, confident understanding of ISO 9001:2015, or will have attended the ISO 9001 Foundation workshop.
|BSI||£1,995 + vat|
|LRQA||£1,795 + vat|
|SQMC||£1,415 + vat|
Assessment & Certification
Days 1 - 4 by continual assessment.
Day 5 features a 2 hour, closed book exam. (An additional 30 minutes may be added for those whose native language is not English, and/or delegates with a learning disabilty, such as dyslexia.)
Arrange this course in-house anywhere in Europe.